Frequently Asked Questions
What is pediatric occupational therapy?
How do I know if my child needs occupational therapy?
- Motor skill development
- Handwriting or Keyboarding
- Learning disabilities
- Completing tasks that seem easy for their peers
- Visual skills including visual perceptual skills and ocular motor skills
- Behavioral challenges or social skill issues
- Ability to pay attention or participate in age-appropriate activities
- Confidence, self-esteem, or self-image
- Executive function skills (Problem Solving, Organizing, Planning, Focusing, Study Skills)
How Could My Child Benefit From Occupational Therapy?
- help children, including those with physical disabilities, develop or improve their gross and fine motor skills
- develop good handwriting and/or keyboarding skills
- address hand-eye coordination, such as batting a ball, copying from a blackboard, etc.
- teach children with developmental delays to do basic daily activities – bathing, dressing, brushing their teeth – on their own
- help children with behavioral disorders learn how to control their impulses and emotional or physical outbursts
- work with children to improve focus and social skills
What services does Skills 4 Life Pediatric Occupational Therapy offer?
• Handwriting evaluation, instruction, and remediation (Pre-K – 12th Grade) based on the Handwriting Without Tears® curriculum
• Keyboarding evaluations and instruction (1st Grade through high school)
• Gross and fine motor skills training
• Activities of daily living
• Organizational/Executive Function skills • Self-Regulation Strategies
• The 7 Habits of Happy Kids Classes (Ages 8-10)
• The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Tweens/Teens Classes (Ages 11-15)
How will my child be evaluated?
How long are the sessions?
What can I expect from individual sessions?
What can I expect from group sessions?
How many sessions will my child need?
How do I schedule an evaluation?
What is your financial policy?
What is your cancellation policy?
If you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment, please contact Skills 4 Life by phone or email at least 24 hours in advance. The full payment will be charged for cancellations, no shows, or changes received within 24 hours of a scheduled appointment. Emergency situations will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Tummy Time Cancellation Policy:
Making a deposit secures a spot in a Skills 4 Life class. Tummy Time class deposits are $75 and non-refundable. Full payment is expected before the start of the first class. In the event that you must cancel your reservation, you will receive a refund as defined below:
- Refund will be issued in the same manner payment was made
- Deposits are non-refundable and will be deducted from your refund amount
- 50% of tuition (outside class deposit) will be refunded if notice is received no later than two weeks after class start date