Frequently Asked Questions
What is pediatric occupational therapy?
How do I know if my child needs occupational therapy?
- Motor skill development
- Handwriting or Keyboarding
- Learning disabilities
- Completing tasks that seem easy for their peers
- Visual skills including visual perceptual skills and ocular motor skills
- Behavioral challenges or social skill issues
- Ability to pay attention or participate in age-appropriate activities
- Confidence, self-esteem, or self-image
- Executive function skills (Problem Solving, Organizing, Planning, Focusing, Study Skills)
How Could My Child Benefit From Occupational Therapy?
- help children, including those with physical disabilities, develop or improve their gross and fine motor skills
- develop good handwriting and/or keyboarding skills
- address hand-eye coordination, such as batting a ball, copying from a blackboard, etc.
- teach children with developmental delays to do basic daily activities – bathing, dressing, brushing their teeth – on their own
- help children with behavioral disorders learn how to control their impulses and emotional or physical outbursts
- work with children to improve focus and social skills
What services does Skills 4 Life Pediatric Occupational Therapy offer?
• Handwriting evaluation, instruction, and remediation (Pre-K – 12th Grade) based on the Handwriting Without Tears® curriculum
• Keyboarding evaluations and instruction (1st Grade through high school)
• Gross and fine motor skills training
• Activities of daily living
• Organizational/Executive Function skills • Self-Regulation Strategies
• The 7 Habits of Happy Kids Classes (Ages 8-10)
• The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Tweens/Teens Classes (Ages 11-15)
How will my child be evaluated?
How long are the sessions?
What can I expect from individual sessions?
What can I expect from group sessions?
How many sessions will my child need?
How do I schedule an evaluation?
What is your financial policy?
Full payment is due at the time of your child’s session. Skills 4 Life accepts cash, personal checks, and credit cards.
What is your cancellation policy?
If you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment, please contact Skills 4 Life by phone or email at least 24 hours in advance. The full payment will be charged for cancellations, no shows, or changes received within 24 hours of a scheduled appointment. Emergency situations will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Please note all class deposits are non-refundable.
Does Skills 4 Life accept insurance?
No. Skills 4 Life does not accept insurance. However, many of our clients get reimbursed for our services through their private insurance. We recommend that you contact your insurance company and ask them whether they’ll reimburse you for “out of network” OT services and if preauthorization or a doctor’s referral is necessary. We will happily provide you with a superbill you can submit for possible reimbursement. If you’d like to schedule a session, have questions, or need additional information, please contact Skills 4 Life by phone at 303.351.1828 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUMMARY NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES
Effective Date: November 17, 2020
THIS IS A SUMMARY NOTICE OF OUR PRIVACY PRACTICES, WHICH DESCRIBES HOW INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHILD MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION.
Our Notice of Privacy Practices provides information about how we may use and disclose protected health information about you. The notice contains a Patient Rights section describing your rights under the law. You have the right to review our full Notice at any time. You may obtain a copy by asking the front desk or Privacy Officer. The terms of our Notice may change. If we change our Notice, you may obtain a revised copy.
OUR PLEDGE TO PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY:
Skills 4 Life Pediatric Occupational Therapy is committed to protecting the privacy of your child’s health information. Your child’s treatment is recorded in an electronic medical record. So that we can best meet your child’s therapy needs, we may share your child’s medical record with the providers involved in their care. We share your information only to the extent necessary to collect payment for the services we provide, to conduct our business operations, and to comply with the laws that govern health care. We will not use or disclose your child’s information for any other purpose without your permission.
HOW WE MAY USE AND DISCLOSE HEALTH INFORMATION:
- To provide treatment to your child;
- To bill and receive payment for the treatment and services your child receives;
- To carry out routine operations to run Skills 4 Life and assure that our clients receive quality care;
- To disclose your child’s information to meet special reporting requirements, for public health reasons, or for other purposes such as data for health or educational oversight activities, audits, investigations or inspections.
YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING YOUR CHILD’S HEALTH INFORMATION:
- To inspect and obtain a copy of health information that may be used to make decisions about your child’s care;
- To request an addendum to or make a correction in your child’s record;
- To request an accounting of Skills 4 Life’s disclosures of your child’s health and education information;
- To request restrictions or limitations on the health information we use or disclose;
- To request that we communicate with you in a certain way or at a certain location and to receive a copy of the full version of our Notice of Privacy Practice.