Playdough – An Oldie, But Goodie
There are SO many fun ways that kids of ALL ages can use Playdough! It’s also a great sensory activity! Playdough provides an engaging tactile, visual, and proprioceptive experience. Children get to squeeze and squish it in their hands and see the various bright colors and designs. They also get that calming, deep input through their joints from the rolling and squishing.
Fun Ways to Use Playdough
Check out the list below for just some of the skills that can be addressed with Playdough & fun ways to use it.
- Roll it, poke it, pinch it, squeeze it, or make a pancake. Skills: fine motor skills, hand strengthening, bilateral coordination.
- Create animals, forms, shapes, or letters from a picture or model. Skills: imitation, visual-motor integration, fine motor coordination.
- Use a golf tee to draw or write letters. Skills: handwriting practice, pencil grasp with added resistance, proprioceptive input.
- Snip off pieces with scissors. Skills: pre-cutting skills, bilateral coordination
- Talk about the sensory aspects of Playdough. How it feels, looks, smells, sounds, and how it makes our body feel! Skills: sensory processing, body awareness.
- Use toothpicks or sticks with the Playdough to create animals, 3D shapes, buildings, or structures. Skills: creativity, multi-step directions, bilateral coordination, and fine motor skills.
Let us know below some of your favorite Playdough activities!
About Skills 4 Life:
Skills 4 Life offers a broad range of pediatric occupational therapy services to children from birth to high school. We help children master age-appropriate developmental skills, become more independent, increase academic success, & develop confidence. The experts at Skills 4 Life specialize in handwriting, keyboarding, & executive function coaching. We also work with children on the building blocks of writing, social & emotional learning, motor skills, self-regulation strategies, sensory integration, early intervention, & activities of daily living. Skills 4 Life offers your child a safe, compassionate environment to learn the critical skills they need to succeed in learning and life. Learn more about our team & services at www.skills4lifeot.com. You also can contact our office by email at email@example.com or by phone at 303.351.1828 for a free consultation.